Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Four Years of Marriage and Twenty One Years Later....

It's pretty unbelievable that the photo here was taken back when we dated in college in 1988. Yeah, I know...pretty self-incriminating (and I'm sure that Brent wants to kill me by now). Dig the '80s "do" and the muscle Ts? That was hip back then, ya' know!?
I had to dig this out because last week, we celebrated our 4th Wedding Anniversary and 3 1/2 years of waiting for our baby girl from from China. It's unbelievable looking at this photo. Truly, we were just kids then. Who is that girl in the photo and who in the heck woulda' "thunk it" that we would be on this crazy journey together so many years later? Life and love have many beautiful surprises in their pockets, and this is one I would not give up for the world.
The latest is that CCAA in China just "matched" those Dossiers logged in March 6th, 2006. Seeing that our Log In Date was March 15th, 2006, we can't believe that this dream of ours is finally becoming a reality! Our good friends, Mark and Barrie, are actually in China as we speak picking up Kelsie and will be bringing her home on Friday. She is the most beautiful doll, and we can't wait for our girls to be lifelong friends. It's been fun watching their blog and seeing what this journey has brought them. To see them now as a one big happy family is truly surreal after all of these years of waiting. So, what does this mean for us?? We're told anytime between now and May, perhaps as late as June when we'll get "the call."
But, as they say, all things happen for a reason. If you would have asked me over the years of waiting "why?" I would have told you that I have no clue (underneath tears and anger). But, there is something magically wonderful about the timing of it all. Brent and I have been able to spend 4 full years together traveling to great places. Having spent lots of husband and wife time together, I've gotten in my share of eye rolls to his daily jokes and wackiness, and he's put up with my constant forgetfulness. Truly, every day we laugh - and most days he brings me to tears with his goofiness. Poor Hailey, what has she gotten herself into with us?!! She'll have to put up with Dad dancing and singing to Beyonce's "I'm a single lady" which will leave her asking herself, "why me??"
This journey has brought us in touch with countless numbers of families that have shared their adoption journeys, we've attended many a baseball and hockey game, forged friendships with those we would not have met before, and I was able to set up my own "mortgage shop" and experience great success with that. Not to mention that it's given us more time to plan, save and yes, SHOP for the upcoming new addition to our family.
Just recently, Brent and I started Tony Horton's P90X Extreme home fitness program. The lovers of sleep that we are, we figured we should find a way to "prepare" ourselves for the baby. What better way than to drag each other out of bed each morning, 6 days a week, at 5:45 in the morning to go torture ourselves with an intense weight lifting, Kempo and yoga regimen?!! We're proud of ourselves that we've managed this grueling routine for 7 weeks now, and I'm proud of Brent that he's not visited Carl's Jr. for his daily fix of burgers and fries!
So, as the next month, two or three go by while the time gets closer, we're slowly preparing for what she'll need, and Mom and I have had fun shopping for her and adding things to the "wish list" at Pottery Barn Kids and Babies "R" US. I'm truly new to this mommy thing, so relying on others who know what they're doing surely is a comfort!
We'll update our blog when we know more. Not sure when the next set of matches will be, but we sure are hoping they match more than 2 days next time. And the journey continues...

No comments: